Monday, March 14, 2011

Sailor Moon Episodes 1-6

I am still not far into the Japanese version of Sailor Moon, and I am going to watch the English version as well. I am going to mention a little bit of comparative information to what I have seen so far.
I am really disappointed in the omitting of episode 2, 5, and 6 so far. I mean in episode 2 when Gurio Umino flips Haruna-sensei's skirt, and they show her panties they could have cut that out for America. Episode 5 was really good too, I mean yes Shingo kicks Luna, but they could have omitted that one clip as well. Episode 6, I literally seen nothing wrong with it so I have no clue why it was omitted. I also noticed there is an attack called Moon Tiara Stardust which was in episode 5.
The youma, or monsters as we know in English do have names but I have only ever heard Morga's name mentioned, and the six greater ones from the rainbow crystals which is later on in the series. Most of the other youma mentioned so far do not exist in the English version because their episodes were omitted. I cannot believe they actually left some names along but apparently Usagi's parents Ikuko, and Kenji aren't important enough to have names in the English Version. I cannot believe they actually left Tuxedo Kamen's name alone in English because Kamen means mask. Surprised they didn't come up with something more crazy.
By episode six in Japan Sailor Mercury has not shown up yet, and in the English due to the omitting of three episodes Sailor Mercury has joined the group. America why did you do this.... Some of this actually contains important plot information.
After watching six episodes at least, possibly more I will post another update of differences.
Japanese Version versus English Version
  • Moon Healing Escalation > Moon Healing Activation
  • Moon Prism Power Make-Up > Moon Prism Power
  • Japanese Names > English Names (Comparison listed below)
  • Moonlight Densetsu > English Theme Song
  • Princess Moon > Opening Reprise for Ending
  • Moon Tiara Action < Moon Tiara Magic
  • Dark Kingdom > Negaverse
  • Season One 46 Episodes > Season One 40 Epsiodes
Names (Japanese versus English)
  • Usagi Tsukino > Serena Tsukino
  • Shingo Tsukino > Sammy Tsukino
  • Ikuko and Kenji Tsukino > Mom and Dad
  • Naru Osaka > Molly Baker
  • Gurio Umino > Melvin Butlers
  • Sakurada Haruna > Patricia Haruna
  • Mamoru Chiba > Darien Shields
  • Tuxedo Kamen ≠ Tuxedo Mask
  • Queen Metalia > The Negaforce
  • Queen Beryl
  • Jaedite
  • Youma > Monsters
  • Morga
  • Balm*
  • Flow**
  • Cyrene*
*in omitted episodes.
** I dare say they never mentioned her name in the English version/

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is just me, but Dark Kingdom is way better than Negaverse. At that point they are just changing things to change them.

    ReplyDelete